Wow, that’s a lot of alliteration – sorry! Christie and I have decided that we’ll be taking Tuesdays to do a weekly segment that we’ll now refer to as “Take Tue.” It’s not going to be about any one thing in particular, so hang on for what’s sure to be a crazy ride.
At the kickoff of 2014 Nick and I decided that we really wanted to tackle what was going to become our master bathroom. You see, when we bought our house, the 80’s threw all the best décor it could think of into our little cottage. I mean, who DOESN’T need a blue toilet complete with a matching shower and sink? It was quite lovely; it’s okay if you’re jealous.
This project pushed me to my DIY limits. Seriously, we started in February and we’re just wrapping up now. So, I thought I’d take a little time to share some things that I've learned along the way.
- Make a project budget – this was extremely helpful for us, as it forced us to sit down and evaluate our needs versus our wants. Go through each part of your project and account for everything you believe will be needed to successfully complete it.
- Factor in a contingency – ballpark is about 10% of what you really want to spend. We didn't do this and I wish we had as we ended up completely changing from our initial design plan.
- Prioritize – make a list of tasks from most critical to least critical. This will not only create a sort of schedule for the project, but it will also help you organize materials.
- Organize your space – it will seriously save you some headache/heartache when looking for tools, parts or your sanity. It takes an extra 5 minutes to organize everything but will save you countless seconds tearing apart your house to find that damn screwdriver and blasted roll of tape.
- Laugh – whether it’s ending up with sock-bun full of drywall
mud or appreciating the string of 4 letter words your
sailorhusband can effortlessly rattle off, remember to laugh…projects can be stressful enough, laughter can make the process a little easier.
So, without further ado, introducing…drum-roll please…..our heinous “before” bathroom!
After pictures will trickle in slowly in the upcoming weeks – so stay tuned!